Monday, September 23, 2024

Happy Homebody Monday #7 Self Sufficient vs Grocery store

Happy Homebody Monday! 



Today is a bread making day in my world it is Friday. 

I don't make bread on any particular day, if we are running low then I am baking.

I've been making my own bread about 40 years. There is something so very joyful in it for me.

A few ingredients in a bowl, and this wonderful aroma fills the house & our bellies. 

And now, I've decided to grind my own grain, so it fresh as well as highly nutritious. 

It isn't work for me, I consider it my special hobby, as it something which is always going on every week.

The aroma alone is worth it. 

Today, I made two loaves, they caved in just a bit probably because I did not knead them enough, they are edible for sure. I'm trying to get where I at least have 2 in the freezer at all times. In the event I am not able to make bread to get us by. Which means that I will be baking again on Monday. 

 





I've made Amish White bread & rolls for years, easy and delicious. We have decided to add more whole grains for better gut health and nutrition. It's no more work, just a learning curve for grinding the wheat berries to fit a recipe, I'm getting there. Whatever you can do for yourself and be just that much less dependent, is Farmhouse Worthy.

You can find a recipe for the Amish White bread, it makes one delicious loaf, a good place to start if you are new to bread baking. We've enjoyed it for years.

Amish White Bread Recipe 

~Faith~

 

5 comments:

  1. Your bread looks delicious. Im making bread today too... its my Monday workout. I've always been tempted to grind my own flour but never taken the step. You have possibly inspired me..
    Have a great week
    Phoebe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phoebe. Thank you. You are 100% able to grind and bake freshly grained bread. A good reference I have used is
    https://www.breadbeckers.com/.I thought about it for a while before I decided. I wanted to make sure it was something which isn't a trend, but rather a lifestyle change for us, and that I would make a commitment. I'd like to know what you've decided. Thank you for stopping in & leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good that you are learning to do more than just white flour bread; although homemade has to be better than store-bought with the preservatives added in. You are thinking of your family. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Years ago when the kids were all at home I'd bake 9 loaves at a time. How I was able to knead that lump of dough seems hard for me to believe. Now I use my breadmaker a lot. I enjoy baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go GM! 9 loaves. I had a bread maker at one time, & used it for kneading especially. Baking is most definately a farmhouse worthy skill, who doesn't like baked goods.?

      Delete

Have a very blessed day and take delight even in the simple things.

CrochetbytheSeaEst2008(C)

This is my personal content. No reproduction of any of my photographs or postings are to be copied, it is against copyright laws.