Saturday, September 21, 2024

Grateful for the sense of smell

Good Morning

It is 7:30 am, I've got my cuppa & the oven is warm and baking bread. It smells amazing. What a nice way for my family to wake up.

I found a new recipe for sourdough sandwhich loaf, I started this yesterday at about 12:00 pm, the rising time was 4-8 hours, wasn't happening. I went to be at 9 and called it a day. Usually when I try a new recipe and use sourdough it is a learning curve. But it's in there and I'll tell you it smells wonderful, and I'm grateful I can appreciate that aroma. 

Honey & Oat Sourdough bread
 

Next time, I will allow the starter to warm up to room temp before I put the dough together. Sourdough has it's own time schedule, but worth it. Good things take time & are worth the wait.

Well, we've had our initial sample, warm & with butter. 

I think my husband liked it better than I did. I found it to be off, and have made some mental notes for when I make it again, which I think will make it better.  Learning curve, we are always learning, and growing, if we allow it. 

, What I can say about this loaf of bread is that it is nutrient dense, no preservatives and it 100% natural, good for the gut, with vitamins & minerals naturally inherent in the grain. Will I make it again, yes. 

When I try a new recipe I follow it to the letter, the next time I make it, I'll tweak it some, & perhaps try it without the sourdough. I like to use the sourdough starter I have at least once or twice a month to keep it healthy and lively.

I've got some of this cubed  up to make croutons for supper tonight, we are having buffalo chicken salad with homemade croutons. The chicken ( boneless) was BOGO, so we saved some $, later this afternoon I'll portion it out for meals, and pop it in the freezer. 

My husband is almost done with the project he started a month ago now, soon we will have the door frames stained and entry way painted by the time the new door arrives. It will be the newest update in our 75 year old home. He has worked hard on it, and it has taken up some weekends, but it will look lovely.

Thank you for stopping over!

~Faith~


 

 

 


 

4 comments:

  1. I am like you with bread. I have a recipe I like but, I am always trying to make the best loaf that reminds the family of store bought. I think it is very hard to replicate because I am not putting all the fillers in mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have been eating all the fillers and additives so the bread doesn't go bad, and we've gotten used to it. The Amish white bread makes a good loaf. Learning curve with the freshly grained, high in nutrition and fiber, different than store bought anything.

      Delete
  2. Oh how my husband would love for me to bake fresh bread. My mother did not allow us in the kitchen with her when we were young. I so wish I could have been taught how to cook. I never seemed to be able to get into the cooking classes at school either. Now I see how much my DIL can do and I am amazed. Bread making is something special, to be proud of. So happy to hear that your husband has been doing some home improvement on your home. Thats always a fun and exciting time. Work too; but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you Prairie Rose, same at our home. My mom did not want us in the kitchen. She did not bake bread. She was a good cook though. I did not learn from her. I learned over time, and because I wanted to learn how and do it from scratch. It is never to late to learn anything. The Amish White bread recipe is one loaf. There are alot of places to learn about proofing yeast and getting started, you can do it.

    ReplyDelete

Have a very blessed day and take delight even in the simple things.

CrochetbytheSeaEst2008(C)

This is my personal content. No reproduction of any of my photographs or postings are to be copied, it is against copyright laws.