Monday, June 27, 2022

Are you a seed saver?

Good Day all! We had a good dousing of rain yesterday in the afternoon, so Gerty's Garden as my husband calls it got some good rain water, grateful for that.  I havn't been out yet this morning, it's coming up to 8 am, after I finish my coffee and chatting with  you. I am always amazed by the change in the garden from day to day, nature is awesome.

I think it is of value to save seeds. I save both flower and vegatable seeds from our garden for next year. Sometimes seeds are difficult to find, you have to purchase early. I prefer the Heirloom varieties. Saving seeds from our tomatoes and squash too. Last year my Hollyhock was loaded with seeds at the end of the growing season, I captured as many as I could, sprinkled a few around the yard hoping one would pop again somewhere else. I had way to many seeds, and so I set about 10 seeds in tiny ziplock bags I found at the  $ store, took them out to a local farm where there is a farmstand and they found new homes.  

Hollyhock
Sunflower




                      The two sunflowers and the name escapes me at the moment, were from the same batch.

 

Have a beautiful day!

 



 

 

 

 

                                                        


                  

                                


                                                                                


2 comments:

  1. Yes, I do save seeds but often find I have poor luck when I sow them. For instance....I sowed saved Morning Glory seeds and very few came up. They were sowed in the same spot as last year and now I see that I have volunteers coming literally out of the cracks ( in the brick path). So I'll try 'redirecting' the volunteers to the arbour where they will hopefully climb and bloom abundantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually save seed, but I did save some pie pumpkin seeds last year and hopefully I will do that again this year as well as perhaps some bean seeds and pepper seeds.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Have a very blessed day and take delight even in the simple things.

CrochetbytheSeaEst2008(C)

This is my personal content. No reproduction of any of my photographs or postings are to be copied, it is against copyright laws.