Hello Happy Homebuddies!
Early morning quiet time, my favorite time of day.
Dill from the garden, I started these from seed, they took a long time to grow, this was the highlight and I'll use it for the batch of pickles I'm making. Such a pretty plant. I'm hoping it will at least make some more leaf so I can dry it and save it for later.
I've been out to the garden to peruse the garden for harvest. We've got enough pickles now to make a batch of fermented ones. I had the water/salt on the boil and it is cooling so we can have a chit chat before I go to the next step.
These are Hungarian Fermented Pickles. No vinegar. Fermented foods are good for the gut.
I love this time of year, fresh produce abounds, even in my yard here in the hood. I've cut back some lovely basil which has been bunched and hung about the place to air dry. I have about 5 bunches of 3 stems each.
This years batch will replenish my less than ample jar of dried from last year. I have seeds, but not a good amount of success with them, so each year I purchase basil plants from the grocery store.
They sell live plants with a good root ball for windowsill growing & cutting year round, I will buy one of those and plant it in the garden, it produces well.
Purple Kale, doing well snipped some off, they are draining from a rinse, and they will be popped into the freezer for a flash freeze to be used at a another time.
I keep Rosemary on the windowsill, it grows in the garden but does not overwinter. It is a tiny plant but it will come along eventually. I have some dried from previous years.
The herbs are standard for me each year, Dill, Basil, this year I added Thyme.
Water should be cooled now, I'll finish up the pickles.
Next year I am trying Egyptian Walking Onions.
Be of Good Cheer, Do Good Things.



No comments:
Post a Comment