Friday, October 9, 2026

Talking pumpkins today pie pumpkins


Hello Happy Homebuddies



Did you ever wonder?

What is the difference between pie pumpkin & pumpkins?

I always knew they were smaller than regular pumpkins, so the finished product I was guessing would be less than if a regular pumpkin was used, and while you can make pie with those pumpkins here is the difference. I had to look it up, my DH asked what is the difference? Good question I thought, what if any was the difference.

 From the internet here is what I found.

Pie pumpkins are smaller, sweeter, and denser, making them ideal for baking, while regular pumpkins are larger, more fibrous, and better suited for carving or decoration.

Key Differences

Size and Shape: Pie pumpkins are generally smaller, weighing between 1 and 5 pounds, and are often round with a matte finish. Regular pumpkins, also called carving pumpkins, are larger, often over 10 pounds, and have a more uniform, round shape suitable for jack-o’-lanterns

Flesh and Texture: Pie pumpkins have dense, smooth, and tender flesh that is easy to puree, making them perfect for pies, soups, and baked goods. Regular pumpkins have stringy, fibrous flesh with higher water content, which can result in a grainy texture when cooked.

I had purchased two pie pumpkins, not know how much I would get for pie. They ended up producing 6+ cups of pureed pumpkin, some of which I took the liberty of eating with a smidge of butter. Delish! Plenty of seeds for the birds.  

Next week we get our carving pumpkins.




Beautiful color


I kept back 4 seeds to see if they will grow, not sure since they were in the oven, but not exposed directly to heat as I decided to not cut them half until after I baked them.  This lot will be for critters outside.  

Well worth the time, I have some for pie, and some for pumpkin roll, and some to just have with a dash of butter s&p.  

Till next time be of good cheer!

No comments:

HappyHomebodyMonday

HappyHomebodyMonday
Sharing & Learning Together

FarmhouseWorthyEst2025(c)

Please, this is my personal content. It may not be copied without written consent from the content creator (me). Treat this as you would your own content. Do unto other as you would like them to do unto you. It still applies in my world. Thank you.