Friday, July 26, 2024

My prefered neighbors

Welcome kindred souls....

I live very unfortunately smack dab in the middle of a city. It is not my first choice. I live in a city where trees are cut down to make another retail location although the existing ones are vacant. When we moved here 30 years ago there were more trees and grass and some open land. The area is filled with post WWII homes built for veterans, our home was built in 1955. 

The destruction of the forest areas have resulted in flooding in the area, and the deer and the wildlife have no place to go, and little to eat. We here at our home have, well we attempt to have flowers and a vegetable garden, with only one other house across the street who plants flowers. So if you were a deer with two adorable babies where would you hang out?

Yep, in my back yard & front yard.

                            This is Rosebud, I have named them all Rosebud over the years. Isn't she pretty?    


 

This is one of her babies, she has two. and they visit every day & help themselves to the buffet of our yard and garden. I get such joy watching them.   


 

We are in drought here, and so they stop and drink out of the bird bath, nibble at the honeysuckle, and various other natural weeds which grow in our yard, and nibble on the tomatoes. 

Our neighbors most of them are fenced up the hilt, fortress like. Pay to have their grass sprayed with chemicals, and never water except to power wash their lawn furniture & driveway, their grass looks like straw, but their plastic lawn chairs are clean as well as their driveway. Odd behavior that. 

So there is little for the critters. I admit that they have really hit me hard this year, along with the lack of rain and excessive heat, we will not be harvesting much. Although I did plant collards for the first time, & have harvested 3 times already. Rosebud leaves those for me, not a fan of collards. She loves my sunflowers, none of which have come to flower.

They are so adorable to watch, my husband says that they have adapted us. I resigned myself to sharing what little the garden has provided, and it is little. The watermelon has been the same size for a month, loads of flowers on the pumpkin, no pumpkins. The squash zero. Tomatoes sometimes and other times not so much. 

Rosebud & her family visit every day....  

I'd have to say that I prefer them best as my neighbors, they are quiet, don't litter, play loud music, are not vulgar and they mind their own business, the moms take care of their young ones and teach them so can survive. I'll take that every time over the human version.


This was last winter there 8 of them, Dasher,Prancer,Donder,Vixen,Comet,Cupid, can't remember the other two..      


Yep, hands down my favorite neighbors....

~Faith~





4 comments:

  1. Here the deer don't seem to visit until the winter arrives. Instead we have bunnies, jack rabbits and the occasional coyote, and cougar come to town.

    So nice of you to share with your lovely neighbours the deer.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have a nice assortment of critters, cougar? Wow! Thanks for stopping in Jackie.

      Delete
  2. What fun. Good of you to share 💕. My pumpkin only had one pumpkin for the longest time then all male flowers through our triple digit weather then once the weather broke, it began getting female blossoms so now there are more little pumpkin. Will see if they grow to ripen before autumn. Lady Locust

    ReplyDelete
  3. We grew 1 pumpkin last year, it was delightful and as perfect a pumpkin as you could think of. I do love pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete

Have a very blessed day and take delight even in the simple things.

CrochetbytheSeaEst2008(C)

This is my personal content. No reproduction of any of my photographs or postings are to be copied, it is against copyright laws.