Thursday, March 28, 2024

Garden Herbs growing for your pantry

Welcome in!

I was reorganizing my kitchen cupboard where I keep all the spices, and the jars full of dehydrated herbs collected from the year before. It is I suspect a good idea to see what you are low on or have to much of, what I used and what never got used. Keeping it simple for planting and being mindful to not waste my valuable energy, time, and seeds. 

Are you a seed saver? 

There are a few which every year go into my garden, some come back although I've never experienced Rosemary returning, but I took a cutting last year and it is growing nicely in a pot in the house, the outside  Rosemary we'll see nothing yet.

Basil I don't start from seed. I purchase this at my local market, you know the grow it on your windowsill variety. I have a good amount of luck with it planted outside and take many cuttings to dry for the upcoming fall/winter season.

I have purchased Sage but have not used much, I use this when I make breakfast sausage, so I probably will use what I have first.

Lavender, I'll infuse that in some olive oil and I do need to harvest seeds and make some.because I've used quite a bit of this over the season.

Lemon Verbena, this is one which I purchase every year from the nursery. I was able to overwinter my plant from last year it never went dormant. I may have to come up with a recipe so I could use what's in the jar. 

Calendula, last year this did not grow well for me, I suspect it was because it was in a clay pot. I've started some indoors and it is coming along.  Calendula is good for salves and creams. 

Something I have always wanted to make is Hungarian Rose Water, I've been looking into this over the years and never did make it....maybe this is the year.

What are your go to herbs for your pantry? What have you planted so far this spring?

So for me it is Basil, Calendula,

From my garden past.


1 comment:

  1. Here in Canada, or at least in my area, most herbs and annual flowers are purchased as starts. Our youngest has a set up and the space that enables him to do his own starts. He does start a few things for us, like peppers, eggplant and this year a few flowers.
    Like you I have lots of dried herbs and anything not used this year I will transform into salves or lotions.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Have a very blessed day and take delight even in the simple things.

CrochetbytheSeaEst2008(C)

This is my personal content. No reproduction of any of my photographs or postings are to be copied, it is against copyright laws.