Saturday, March 30, 2024

My very vintage Waffle iron & a recipe

 Making Sourdough Waffles tonight for supper. A show & tell about the waffle maker, a recipe to share, and we can even dip our toes into sourdough making, it isn't as hard as you think. 

 




I posted about this lovely when I first got it, you can find that posting

Vintage Waffle Iron

 

Sourdough Pancakes


 

I will take 1/2 cup of my starter out of fridge to warm it up early in the day, feed it with 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup water (bottled or filtered), let it just sit and feed for most of the day, by the time you are ready to use it, it will have warmed up, then you do this:

 

1 egg

1 tsp salt ( I like Celtic Sea Salt) it has minerals in it.

1 tsp Baking Soda

2 tsp Baking Powder

(omit the above if you are using self rising flour)

1 1/2 cup milk ( I like buttermilk)

2 tbs oil

a splash of vanilla

baking powder

baking soda

Combine well. I let this mixture sit about 1/2 or so till it is nice and bubbly. I did not take a picture of the starter before I added, but here is what it looks like now. Today I used self rising flour and left out the baking powder & baking soda.

 

How to make sourdough starter- Here is where I found the perfect recipe, no discards, no scheduled feedings, it could not be easier. If you have ever attempted or are considering beginning your own sourdough starter  I highly recommend you visit the link below, it will be made clear and you will be on your way. I've had a nice batch going using her method for 1.5 years now.

Our Gabled Home

  


This is circaa 1938 I believe, and in impeccable condition, original cloth cord & light bulb. I like to try to imagine where this came, and thank the homemaker who took such good care of it. Things back then were not dispensable, but were made to last. 

2 comments:

  1. Your vintage waffle iron is such a treasure. It certainly is amazing that it's still in such good condition.
    Re your question about my Paska... I used some small ceramic loaf pans to bake the ones I intend to give as gifts. The rest I baked as loaves on a cookie sheet.

    ReplyDelete

Have a very blessed day and take delight even in the simple things.

CrochetbytheSeaEst2008(C)

This is my personal content. No reproduction of any of my photographs or postings are to be copied, it is against copyright laws.