Greetings! Thank you for popping over.
It's Rhubarb time. Our farmers market will be opening on the weekend, and we are very much looking for our ride to the country, Rhubarb will no doubt be on their shelves. I found some Rhubarb frozen in my freezer from last year at this time so today I'm thawing it out, adding strawberries and making a pie.
Have to make room
for new Rhubarb.
Well, I must clean the berries and make the the crust....
We'll talk again soon won't we?
ps...
A note on the garlic scapes...I have learned that not all varieties will get these, only the hardneck,
not the softneck.These are the "flower" part of the plant, and if allowed this will curly que up and produce a flower. The scapes take energy away from the growing bulb, so that is why you cap them off.
I don't know what the flower is of the softneck variety, it seems to me that should all want to flower and reproduce. There are many varieties of garlic, and I have no idea what mine is. We purchased ours to eat at the farmers market from the Amish booth. It was beautiful garlic, and no doubt grown organically.
So I purchased some to eat and some to plant. And will do the same this year.

Internet Photo
An informative place
Peace and simple joys!
7 comments:
One of our visiting DIL's brought some fresh Rhubarb from her parents garden. She made us a Rhubarb Crisp. It was delicious. Enjoy your pie!
It must be years since I've eaten rhubarb. I'll have to see if they have any in at the farm shop now. X
Is that picture a garlic flower about to open? If so I'm letting one of our plants bloom just to see that exquisite flower. Pink and pale green...amazing!
I am trying to clean out my frozen rhubarb as well. The new harvest should begin shortly.
God bless.
Yes, the little pink/purple buds are actually little bulbs.I have one garlic which isn't as big as the others, and hasn't produced a scape yet,I'm going to let it go as well to see what happens.
I've saved those baby garlic bulbs and grown more garlic with them. I left them for several years and harvested them this year. They did very well.
Leigh, this is very interesting. I'd like to hear more about how this is done. Do you plant each little bulb, or does it reseed itself.? I've saved back one garlic plant scape hasn't popped yet to see what happens.
Post a Comment